What a week last week! I had two big deadlines converge and each one turned out to be considerably larger than I estimated. I put in some pretty LONG hours at my desk working on them. One was finally wrapped on Sunday and the other is having the finishing touches put on it it today.
I try to keep this situation from happening by carefully managing my clients and their deadlines. I think if it happens too often, we end up with lower quality work, a burned out writer, and clients who aren’t served as well as they should be. But it inevitably happens now and then and I just deal with it when it does. Last week was no different.
In spite of the last touches of the project, I still had a good rest this weekend and that helps me launch into this week with lots of energy and focus. Really excited about what’s coming up this week:
- So one of the deadlines was getting a client’s book published (which we were going to do last week but then made the last-minute decision to delay it until today to make a change to the book). Now that the book is done and on its way to the printer, I need to complete a few other projects surrounding the book to help market the book and get it out to its intended audience.
- I’m also working on a really cool project doing some real estate investing copywriting for a resort near Australia. Since it’s been -40 Celsius (and -40 Farenheit — that’s where the two measurement systems meet and it’s REALLY cold), those Australian resort pictures look really nice.
- One thing I hope to solve this week is a bottleneck. Here’s the situation: I’ve got a client who needs A TON of ongoing work and I love writing for him. He and I are both pretty productive people so we put out a lot work. But we’ve recently hit on a bottleneck in our process (because we need some work by a third party that quite frankly can’t up). I’ve let it go for the last little while because of Christmas and then New Years and then the busyness of last week. But all these projects need to be finished (I hate half-finished work) so I’m going to see what I can do with these this week.
- I’m interviewing a real estate investor for a real estate investment magazine this week, too, and I’m really excited about it because he’s got a cool story to tell. Can’t say much more than that right now but it will be a fun interview.
- And now that things have calmed down slightly, I’m picking up a couple of my own projects that I’ve ignored recently (a couple of books and websites) that can now receive some more of my attention.
And if I’m not at my desk, you might be able to find me at the dentist this week: One of my many weird quirks is that I brush my teeth too much and I’ve worn some of the enamel off of my teeth. (Yes, I’ve switched to a soft tooth brush, in fact I’m supposed to use a tooth brush that’s even softer than the industry standard of “soft”. So now I need to get some fillings for my teeth to deal with the problem. It’s a point of vanity for me, I have to admit, because I’ve never had a cavity (and therefore, I’ve never had a filling) but now I’m getting fillings for my teeth (although if you ask me about it, I’ll still point out that they’re not for cavities — haha).