Good morning! It’s day 5 of my 5:00 AM challenge and I got up at 5:00 AM today. So far, so good.
Getting up was not horrible but not amazing. I had a good sleep but I’m still a little sleepy and my fingers don’t seem to be typing as precisely as they usually do. But I will prevail!
One of the best motivators for getting up this early is the amount of work I get done in my day. I get in a full day of work before noon and that is HUGE. Not only am I getting more content written for my clients but I get it done the morning, which gives me an open afternoon (to work or have fun or have meetings or whatever) and an entirely free evening. It’s so much of a total lifestyle improvement that I’ve become a proponent for getting up early.
What makes it possible to get up and stay up?
- Positive reinforcement of the lifestyle improvement.
- Accountability of writing blog posts to share my success and failure and struggles.
- A system — i.e. turning on the kettle before I turn off my alarm.
- Getting active right away (through stretching).
Is there anything else? I think these are the four reasons right now. Eventually I might add that it’s a personal habit and I’ve become wired to do it but I’m not there yet.
UPDATE 10:00 AM: I was struggling through my work and by 6:30 I was still struggling. At one point, I closed my eyes to think of something and totally zoned out, almost to the point of falling asleep! I realized that I was still REALLY tired and hadn’t been able to shake it yet (something that I was usually able to do within the first few minutes of waking up). So I laid down and promptly fell into a deep sleep and woke up nearly 3 hours later! Wow!
I’m not sure what that happened. I suspect it’s one (or a combination) of three things:
- Part of me worries that it’s cumulative exhaustion from getting up at 5:00 AM for the past 5 days. I don’t think that’s it but I’ll find out in another few days or so it this hits again.
- It’s entirely possible that it’s weather-related: Usually I get pretty nasty migraines about a day before it rains. Well, it’s supposed to rain tomorrow; late last night I started feeling a bit of a headache (the early indicator of a migraine for me) and today, although it didn’t feel like a migraine, it’s possible that it was indeed something similar. This is not that unusual of an occurrence for me, especially when it gets really hot and then a big rain drops the temperature dramatically — which is what the weather forecast indicates.
- It’s also possible that I pushed myself a little too hard yesterday and then just didn’t get enough recovery sleep: Normally I try to have a busy day and a free evening but yesterday I ended up doing a bunch of stuff at my desk right up until bedtime. It wasn’t really work-related but it was at my desk, at my computer, basically in “work mode” as I caught up on emails and did some planning for the weeks ahead.
I’m awake now, feeling great, and ready to move forward! And I’m noting this in my mind to see if there’s a repeat pattern in the future and what similar conditions were present!